You’re an educated, knowledgeable, experienced storage designer who wants everyone to know just how accomplished you really are. It’s the perfect time for you to apply to become officially certified by the Association of Closet & Storage Professionals, the industry’s most renowned trade organization representing custom storage designers and companies nationwide.
ACSP certification is based upon five key areas: Knowledge, Experience, Education, Client Recommendation, and Design. These standards are what define a designer, what sets him or her apart from the competition. The ACSP wants to acknowledge its certified designers in an effort to not only help them generate incremental business, but also to acknowledge them for their continued efforts over the course of their careers.
In the application process, designers will be asked to meet a list of specific requirements ranging from education, hands-on experience, client recommendations, and, most importantly, the certification examination and design challenge.
- Registered Storage Designer
- Certified Storage Designer
- Master Storage Designer
- Installer's Exam
- Study Guides
LEVEL 1: REGISTERED STORAGE DESIGNER
A minimum of 15 points are mandatory to quality as a Registered Storage Designer. You must accumulate
a total of 10 points prior to taking the certification exam and then completing the design challenges, which
count for your final 5 points. The certification committee reserves the right to verify any and all details
related to claiming points.
- 5 points for the first year as a full-time closet/storage designer and 1 point for each successive year
- 5 points for the first two years as a part-time closet/storage designer and 1 point for each successive two years
- A minimum of 1 year full-time experience or 2 years part-time experience is mandatory
- 0.5 points for each year of higher education with a maximum of 2 points from this sub-section
- 1 point for each other relevant certification from NAPO, NKBA, or the NCIDQ certification for interior designers
- 1 point for each attendance of the conference program of the Closets Expo with a maximum of 3 points from this sub-section
- 0.25 points for each published article about the industry or for being a presenter at a seminar at an industry
- 4 points for each published book about the industry
- 0.5 points for each letter of recommendation from a client on a closet/storage project. A minimum of 1.5 points are mandatory from this section.
Design Challenges and Basic Examination
- 5 points for satisfactory completion of Design Challenges based on requirements that are assigned by the certification committee and satisfactory completion of the Basic Examination. This requirement is mandatory.
LEVEL 2: CERTIFIED STORAGE DESIGNER
Current Certification as a Registered Storage Designer is mandatory, plus the following:
- A minimum of three years of full-time closet/storage design experience or seven years of part-time closet/storage design experience
- Achievement of a passing score on the qualification exam and advanced design challenges.
LEVEL 3: MASTER STORAGE DESIGNER
Current certification as a Certified Storage Designer is mandatory, plus the following:
- Ten years of full-time experience in the closet/storage industry, of which a minimum of seven years is specifically closet/storage design
- Submission of a portfolio containing at least ten projects demonstrating outstanding design (see Portfolio Submission Requirements for details)
CERTIFICATION APPLICATION FEES*
ACSP Member (or employee of ACSP member)……………………………$275
Applicable fee must accompany application
Payment of applicable fee is mandatory for certification at each level and to renew certifications
Certification renewal fee is $100 every two years
If an applicant fails to pass the Design Challenges or Examination. she/he may retest for a $75 fee after a waiting period of six months